This week, Tony has found an awesome recipe from The Food Network that is sure to wow at your next tailgate or football watching party!
Cheesy Chicken Empanadas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced, seeded and ribs removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded then diced cooked chicken breasts (from leftover chicken)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey and Cheddar cheese blend
- 4 ounces cream cheese, diced
- Dash of hot sauce
- 1 egg
- Flour, for rolling
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
Chili Lime Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 chipotle pepper (canned in adobo sauce), minced
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray
- Put a large saute pan on the stove at medium heat, add oil. When oil is hot, add onion, jalapeno, garlic, green onions. Saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Mix the chicken, cheese, cream cheese, sauteed ingredients, and hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg in small bowl and set to the side.
- Spread a little flour on your work area and unroll the pie dough.
- Roll the dough out into a 13-inch circle. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out 8, 4-inch circles. Knead the extra scraps, roll out, and cut extra circles if needed.
- Spoon one heaping tablespoon of the chicken filling in the middle of each crust circle. Brush the edges with the egg wash and fold in half.
- Gently press on the top to let out any trapped air. Seal the edges of the empanada with a fork. Brush the rest of the egg wash on the tops of the empanadas.
- Sprinkle with chili powder.
- Place in oven and bake until golden brown, around 20 minutes.
- Serve with the Chili Lime Dipping Sauce (instructions below.)
Directions for Chili Lime Dipping Sauce:
- Mix yogurt, chipotle, lime zest and juice in a bowl.
Time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 25 min
Makes: 8 servings