Man Dies After Winning Bug-Eating Contest

1107609351 Man Dies After Winning Bug Eating Contest

Juergen Schacke/AFP/Getty Images

CNNis reporting that 32-year-old Edward Archbold collapsed and died Friday night after winning a snake in a bug-eating contest.

Archbold signed up to eat a variety of insects at Ben Siegel Reptile Store, where staff promised a female ivory ball python to the “Eat Bugs For Balls” contest winner.

After winning the contest by eating “dozens” of worms and roaches, Archbold fell ill and threw up before collapsing in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital, but was pronounced dead.

No other contestant became sick and Archbold’s cause of death is pending determining and investigation and autopsy.

“None of us in that competition thought this would happen,” wrote Robert Farthing on the store’s Facebook page, admiring Archbold for sporting a headband for the contest “like a true athlete.”

Ben Siegel Reptile Store’s attorney, Luke Lirot, said the bugs in the contest were “taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles” and offered condolences to Archbold’s family.

More from Leigh Ann Adam
Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From 103.7

Play.It
Get Started Now

Listen Live