Unfortunately for the Material Girl, she didn’t break a good record. Forbes reports that Madonna’s new album, MDNA, has achieved the biggest second week drop of all time, with expectations that it will plummet 88 percent in sales from the first week when official numbers are released on Wednesday.
In terms of hard numbers, that means Madonna expected to go from her No. 1 position with 359,000 albums sold in the first week to selling around 46,000 in the second week. Forbes attributes Madonna’s first week success to the bundling of her CD with concert tickets. The Hollywood Reporter confirms that 185,000 of Madonna’s first week sales came from that deal. If those packages had not been counted as CD sales, Lionel Richie would have beat Madonna out for the No. 1 slot last week.
Lady Gaga faced a similar second week drop-off for her album Born This Way in 2011, which was priced for $1.99 on Amazon during the first week of sales. In her second week, sales dipped 84 percent, from 1.1 million copies to 174,000.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
More Stories You’ll K-LUV
- Texas Rangers Friday Night Win Clinched Home Field Advantage for Playoffs
- Ultimate Guide to Savings $$ at the State Fair of Texas
- Selena’s Makeup Line Launched Friday in Corpus Christi to Thousands of Fans
- Prince: Looking Back at ‘Diamonds and Pearls’ 25 Years Later
- ‘Stranger Things” Just Put Out A Casting Call For Women Who Are Willing To Cut Their Hair!
- Chipotle Is Giving Away $20 Million In Free Catering!
- Blake Lively And Ryan Reynolds Had Their Second Baby!
- We Can Survive Workday Trip-A-Day Giveaway
- Watch This Crazy Guy Run Through An Apple Store Crushing Phones!
- Fifth Harmony’s Ally Brooke Attacked By Fan On Stage!