Many times, the focus after a tornado is on the people who’ve been affected by damage to their homes. However, it’s the pets that often get overlooked after a disaster. Family pets who have survived the tornadoes have been separated from their human families, and the SPCA has tips on finding your lost pet.
If you have lost a pet in the tornadoes, the first thing you want to do is call the animal shelters around your area. Call and visit shelters often as animal control and citizens are brining in found pets around the clock. The SPCA is not picking up lost or stray pets, but they are taking in found pets and checking for microchips. Also put up flyers around your neighborhood and surrounding areas. The flyers should include a photo, description of your pet, your contact information, the date you last saw your pet, and the location your pet was last seen.
You will also want to post and check websites. LostAndFound.com and PetFinder.com have resources for you to find your missing pet. There is also a Facebook page set up for posting lost and found pets called Lost and Found Pets From North Texas Tornadoes.
In the future, the SPCA recommends having an emergency preparedness plan that includes your pets. Make sure your pets are microchipped and have collars with your current contact information. If you pets are distressed during storms, consider buying them a Thundershirt which is available at the SPCA center in West Dallas or at local pet supply stores.
- At Least 8 Victims Confirmed At Mass Shooting In Downtown Baltimore
- MLB All-Star Jose Fernandez Killed In Boating Accident
- ‘Do The Right Thing’ Actor Bill Nunn “Radio Raheem” Dies at 62
- Here Is How Dak Prescott Honors The Memory of His Mother
- Woman Rushed To Hospital After Being Stabbed…By Her Dog
- Lubbock Teacher Surprised With Pair Of Jordans He’s Always Wanted
- Taco Bueno Named Best Mexican Restaurant In America
- Watch Courteney Cox And Lisa Kudrow Play A Round Of ‘Friends’ Trivia
- Backstreet’s Back: The Backstreet Boys Are Taking-Up Residency In Las Vegas, Alright!
- Netflix: Here’s All The New Stuff Coming In October