TriStar Pictures released the full trailer for Sparkle today (April 2), which co-stars the late Whitney Houston in her final movie role that was to mark her return to the silver screen.
Co-starring former American Idol Jordin Sparks the trailer gives a first look at the movie about sisters following in the musical footsteps of their mother, played by Houston, to create the next big all-girl group of the ’60s.
While Cee-Lo Green, Mike Epps, Derek Luke and Jordin Sparks fill out the cast, Houston’s image looms large in the trailer. Reprising the role of Emma, a struggling mother of three daughters, she offers advice from a woman who has seen it all before.
“Was my life not enough of a cautionary tale for you,” she said. “It takes a lot of faith to do this, Sparkle.”
Given Houston’s untimely death and reported struggles with substance abuse, her words as Emma give the trailer an extra weight. At 48, Houston was found dead in her hotel bathtub in February, six months before the film’s August release date. Her death has since been attributed to drugs, including cocaine.
Sparkle is due out on Aug. 17th. See full trailer below. –Erik Parker, CBS Local w/Britt Bickel, The Wave/Los Angeles
More Stories From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- Jimmy Fallon Ripping On Lochte Leaves Michael Phelps Very Entertaining
- Hurricane Katrina Hit 11 Years Ago Today, Here’s 11 Facts You Did Not Know
- Tanner Starts A Bromance When He Interviews The ChainSmokers, Check It Out!
- Marvel Did A Short Film On Where Thor Was For ‘Captain America: Civil War’ And It’s Hilarious
- “Ice Road Truckers” star Darrell Ward Dies In Plane Crash From Dallas
- Texas Troopers Will Be All Over The Roads Labor Day Weekend
- Taylor Swift Was Dismissed From Jury Duty Because She May Not Be Impartial
- Britney Spears Talks ‘Glory,’ Her VMA Performance and Vegas
- Gene Wilder, ‘Willy Wonka’ Star Dies at 83
- Millionaires Girlfriend Cries Wolf About Abuse And Is Caught On Camera