Marshall Smith could barely contain the emotions as he prepared to have surgery. “I’m excited because I’m going to get a second chance to live and be able to be a father for my son.” That second chance is all coming because of Smith’s youngest son’s kindergarten teacher Marie Bell.
Smith’s kidneys stopped working two years ago. He is on dialysis four hours a day three days a week. A father to eight, the 50 year-old didn’t really have much hope of a transplant, until his youngest, Sean got Bell as a teacher.
“I didn’t think that god made people like her any more,” Smith told WFAA.
Tuesday afternoon at Baylor University Medical Center in Dall, Bell showed there are still people like her, as she gave up a kidney to her student’s father.
In February, Sean was late to class because the family held him out because Marshall had been alerted to a potential kidney donor. Thinking the transplant was coming, Sean was held out, only to find out the kidney was diseased and the procedure would have to wait.
A note Sean mother’s sent to school to explain the tardiness got bell asking questions. “I just boldly asked Sean’s mom in an e-mail, ‘What can we do?’ She told me I could check with the donor program. One day after school I just called,” Bell said.
Bell turned out to be a match in every category. There was no turning back for Bell.
“How could I look at that little boy, in his eyes every day, greet him as his caregiver, teacher, as his educator, and as a mother and know that I didn’t try?” she asked.
Family members said Bell and Smith are resting comfortably following a successful transplant.
More From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- Bittersweet Reunion for Cast of ‘Martin’ Show at Tommy Ford’s Funeral
- Legendary Singer Selena Inducted into Texas Women’s Hall of Fame
- Taylor Swift’s Cat is Keeping Her Awake
- Weird Al Yankovic Made A Debate Song Called “Bad Hombre, Nasty Women”
- Adele Giveaway Week
- Amy Schumer Parodies Beyoncé’s ‘Formation’ Video
- Donald Trump And Hillary Clinton Had A Charity Roast Last Night!
- Waves Of Cyber Attacks Take Down Netflix, Twitter, And Spotify Today!
- This Texas Taco Challenge Is So Hard Only 5 People Have EVER Finished It!
- A Breastfeeding Emoji Could Be Coming To Your Phone Soon!