The day many of you have been waiting for is finally upon us. The Hunger Games movie is getting ready to release to to the world Friday. Our Queen of the Silver Screen Julie Fisk was lucky enough to see an advance screening of the movie. Those are the kind of perks you get as a member of the DFW Film Critics Association. Find out if it lived up to the hype.
The Hunger Games:
[photogallerylink id=74463 align=left]The Hunger Games” stars Jennifer Lawrence as a girl who is sent to fight for her life in a tournament broadcasted on live TV. It’s based on the popular book series by Suzanne Collins.
There are several questions people have asked me about this movie, like my husband who asked, “Will normal people like it?” I assume by normal people, he means those who haven’t read the “Hunger Games.” Yes, I think they will like it because there’s a something for everyone.
You have epic battles, a love story and Lenny Kravitz and everyone loves Lenny Kravitz, right? The next question: Is it safe to take my kids? I can’t answer that for you. It’s rated PG-13 & Director Gary Ross stays true to the tone so it’s dark and desperate and one guy does get eaten by a dog.
[photogallerylink id=76894 align=left]There’s nothing more extreme than what is found in the book, though. The final question: Is it as good as the book? Yes. There are some minor adjustments for time and simple tweaks, like Haymitch isn’t quite as terrible now. I’m especially pleased with the main characters. Josh Hutcherson is sweet and vulnerable as Peeta and Jennifer Lawrence so embodies Katniss, she actually helped me better understand the character.
The movie is not perfect though. They enlist some awful shaky camera effects in the beginning and the end feels anticlimactic because there’s so much unfinished business. They also left out what is, to me, a key scene from the book & that’s why I’m giving “The Hunger Games” an A-. [photogallerylink id=77322 align=right]
Simply put, if you loved the Hunger Games book, you are going to love the Hunger Games movie. Now everyone else should go buy “Mockingjay” and “Catching Fire” so you’re on board for the next ones.
More Stories From the New 103.7 Lite FM
- Jimmy Fallon Ripping On Lochte Leaves Michael Phelps Very Entertaining
- Hurricane Katrina Hit 11 Years Ago Today, Here’s 11 Facts You Did Not Know
- Tanner Starts A Bromance When He Interviews The ChainSmokers, Check It Out!
- Marvel Did A Short Film On Where Thor Was For ‘Captain America: Civil War’ And It’s Hilarious
- “Ice Road Truckers” star Darrell Ward Dies In Plane Crash From Dallas
- Texas Troopers Will Be All Over The Roads Labor Day Weekend
- Taylor Swift Was Dismissed From Jury Duty Because She May Not Be Impartial
- Britney Spears Talks ‘Glory,’ Her VMA Performance and Vegas
- Gene Wilder, ‘Willy Wonka’ Star Dies at 83
- Millionaires Girlfriend Cries Wolf About Abuse And Is Caught On Camera