I love my Zoo and would never want anything to happen to them especially if it could be controlled. We are on what will be 24 for consecutive 100 degree heat. We are expecting temps to reach near 107 this afternoon and 105 tomorrow. There is no real break anytime in the near future. As a pet owner and lover I wanted to share some very important tips with you to keep your furry friends safe during this sweltering summer heat. Please feel free to pass this along to anyone you know with a pet.
Here are six tips to keep your animals safe and secure all summer long!
1. Give your pet access to plenty of fresh water at all times. Even the healthiest pets can suffer from dehydration, heat stroke and sunburn if overexposed to the heat.
2. Avid lathering your pet with any insect repellent or sunscreen not intended for the four-legged kind.
3. Keep your pet away from matches, citronella candles and lighter fluid, which if eaten can irritate the stomach, lungs and central nervous system.
4. Be cool near the pool. Do NOT leave pets unsupervised around a pool, lake or high waters-not all dogs are expert swimmers.
5. Never leave your dog, cat or any other animal friend alone in a car. The inside of a car can heat up very quickly-even with a window open.
6. Be prepared. From tornadoes to floods to extreme heat waves, we’ve seen the devastation sever weather can bring to pets and their families recently. Develop an action plan ahead of time in case you are forced from your home in an emergency!
Give your furry babies big hugs and stay cool!